The National Committee for Anti-Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism (“National Committee”) has been established pursuant to Section 19A of FIAMLA. The FIU, through its Director is a member of the National Committee. The National Committee is mandated to:
- coordinate the development, regular review and implementation of national policies and activities to combat money laundering and the financing of terrorism and proliferation (ML/TF/PF);
- assess the effectiveness of policies and measures to combat ML/TF/PF;
- make recommendations to the Minister for legislative, regulatory and policy reforms for the purposes of combating ML/TF/PF;
- promote co-ordination among public sector authorities with a view to improving the effectiveness of existing policies;
- formulate policies to protect the international repute of Mauritius;
- generally advise the Minister on AML/CFT matters, as the Minister may refer to the National Committee; and
- keep the Core Group informed on a regular basis of matters related to its functions.